Saturday, August 28, 2010

Maple Syrup



My in-laws are from Vermont and recently visited there and brought me back a whole gallon of maple syrup. Yes ladies and gentleman, a whole gallon. I didn't even know they made such a thing until I became part of my Vermont family. This is the real stuff; no Aunt Jememiah here.
Here are a few fun facts about maple syrup:
- The sap used to make maple syrup is tapped from the trees in early Spring; when the days are warmer and the nights are cold.
-It takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup.
-Maple syrup comes in 4 types: grade A light, medium, dark, and grade B. Grade B does not mean an inferior product, it just means it is darker and has a stronger maple flavor.
-Light syrup comes earlier in the season, dark and grade B comes later.
-Native Americans were making maple syrup long before Europeans came to America.
-Maple syrup contains some vitamins and minerals. Pretty cool !

2 comments:

  1. I went to Vermont last year for my sister's wedding (she also married a Vermonter!)... It is so beautiful there. My brother in-law is from St. Johnsbury.. We toured the Maple factory there on our stay!! Also went to the Cabot Creamery! I can't wait to go back..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure maple syrup contains calcium and antioxidants so you can feel healthy when you cook with it! You may not know that the best way to store it in large quantities, like the gallon you bought, is by putting it into the freezer. You can store it in very clean mason jars--it doesn't actually freeze and maintains the color and grade. See recipes at www.vermontmaple.org.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete