Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Spaghetti !


My sweet grandmother gave me seven pounds of tomatoes from her garden (yes, I weighed them). Here is the spaghetti sauce I made tonight. Per a friends request, I'm going to start trying to post how much each meal costs and how much time it took me. Keep in mind these are only estimates and some things you don't really use enough to count, like salt and pepper. Also, if I only use part of something and save the rest for later, I will try to list the cost just for what I use. (Like $2.00 block of cheese. If I used 1/2 the block that would only be $1.00.
Time:
blanching, peeling and chopping tomatoes: 20 minutes
chopping veggies: 5 minutes
cooking meat: 5 minutes
So I would say prep time is about 30 minutes and cook time is how ever long you want to let it simmer. All day for me.
Cost:
Grass fed beef: 4.50
Tomatoes: free!
1/2 yellow bell pepper: 1.00
1 onion: .50c
4 garlic cloves, various spice from the pantry, olive oil: .50c
1 box whole wheat spaghetti: 1.00
Total: 7.50
This will feed 4-6 people, which means leftovers for me or frozen extras for another night!

No comments:

Post a Comment